Race Around the World
Friday 18th June - Sunday 5th September 2021
Can you help Oakhaven Hospice race around the world in 80 days?
Give a world of care to your hospice this summer
Between Friday 18th June and Sunday 5th September, Oakhaven will attempt to “Race Around the World” and we need your help to do it.
The distance around the world is 24,901 miles - collectively, as a community, can we complete the trip? We’d love each and every one of you to join our team and help us on this mission.
Sign up now to take on the 80 day challenge, by pledging your own mileage goal and how you’ll complete it. For example, you could simply pledge to walk 2 miles a day during the 80 days: 160 miles. The choice is yours! Let’s walk, cycle, run, row, sail, swim (or indeed any other mode of travel that takes your fancy) our way around the world and all those miles will provide a world of care at Oakhaven Hospice.
Here's some distance ideas to give you a little inspiration...
- Distance across Israel: 85 miles
- Length of Switzerland: 137 miles
- Distance across Sri Lanka: 139 miles
- Length of Jamaica: 146 miles
- Distance across Ireland: 171 miles
- Length of Dominican Republic: 240 miles
- Distance across Norway: 267 miles
- Length of mainland Scotland: 274 miles
- Distance across Austria: 360 miles
- Length of Cyprus Coastline: 400 miles
- Distance across France: 600 miles
- Distance from Eiffel Tower to Vatican City: 841 miles
- Length of Sweden: 977 miles
- Length of the UK: 1083 miles
- Width of Baltic Sea: 150 miles
- Width of Sea of Cortez: 150 miles
- Length of Sea of Marmara: 175 miles
- Width of Persian Gulf: 210 miles
- Width of the North Sea: 360 miles
- Width of Andaman Sea: 400 miles
- Width of Yellow Sea: 435 miles
- Length of Adriatic Sea: 497 miles
- Length of the Loire River: 625 miles
- Length of Vistula River: 651 miles
- Width of Hudson Bay: 650 miles
- Length of the Ottawa River: 780 miles
- Length Cooper Creek: 810 miles
- Length of Snake River: 1078 miles
If you don’t fancy doing this solo, you could team up with your family, friends, colleagues or sports team and set a team target.
Whether you register as a solo participant or as part of a group, by signing up you will become part of the Oakhaven Race Around the World team and we will keep in touch with you in the lead up to and throughout your challenge.
There won't be a registration fee to take part, but we would love for you to fundraise £1 for every mile you complete.
All funds raised from Race Around the World will help local people during the most difficult of times. With only a small proportion of our costs funded by government sources, every donation makes a difference, enabling us to continue providing exceptional care, comfort and support to patients facing end of life and their loved ones, both within the Hospice itself and out in the New Forest, Totton and Waterside community.
If you can help us to complete our race around the world and raise £1 per mile, the total amount raised could pay for 120 community nurse visits. No mile pledge is too small; every mile completed really will make a difference.
Keep in touch
Don't forget to share updates and pictures with us of your journey - just tag @oakhavenhospice and use the hashtag #oakhavenaroundtheworld