Your local hospice is experiencing an increase in demand and a shortfall in income - can you help?
Oakhaven Hospice is proud to be part of your community, supporting local people and their loved ones as they face end of life, completely free of charge.
The demand for Oakhaven’s services has increased over the last few years and the charity has strived to be as responsive to that need as possible. But this expansion of our services means additional income is required, this is difficult given the cost-of-living crisis we all are facing.
“We expected this year to be challenging, and the first four months of the financial year have confirmed this, said Andrew Ryde, CEO of Oakhaven Hospice. “Oakhaven is currently at a shortfall of £100,000 against expected income and we anticipate the year to become even tougher.
“The cost-of-living crisis means our funds are not stretching as far as they used to. Pair that with decreased income along with the increased demand for our services, and the future will be very challenging indeed for Oakhaven.
A challenging time for the hospice
Only 11% of Oakhaven’s annual costs are covered by governmental “statutory income.” The remaining 89% of costs for the charitable trust must be met by the funds raised by donations, gifts in Wills, Oakhaven’s shops, investments, and of course, by fundraising events and activities. The profits from the wholly-owned subsidiary, Oakhaven Care Ltd, which provides paid-for domiciliary care in the local area, also help fund the running of the Hospice.
Oakhaven’s situation is by no means unique. According to Hospice UK, similar income deficits have been reported at hospices throughout the UK and the prediction is for a deficit of nearly £150 million across the hospice sector by the end of the year. With the difficulties being experienced across the NHS, it is unlikely that any further hospice funding will be forthcoming from government sources.
Community support is vital for our future
"It is the community's generous support that has always enabled the hospice to grow, to flourish and to provide end-of-life care for everyone in our catchment area, free of charge to those who need it. This is why we ask you to donate whatever you can today. Oakhaven Hospice is your local hospice and even a small donation can help to provide all the vital services needed to ease suffering and restore dignity to death.
“The need for our services doesn’t and will not stop. We are so proud and determined to continue providing all our services free of charge to patients and their loved ones at their most difficult of times.
“Our In-Patient Unit will remain a safe haven, managing symptoms and pain, providing emotional support and end-of-life care to local people with life-limiting illnesses. Our community nurses will continue their home visits, providing care to people in their own homes. Our Day Hospice and Wellbeing Centre will provide ongoing support to the physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual needs of our community.
“But all this can only happen with the help and generosity of people like you. We respect and understand that there is less money in people’s pockets right now, but if you can help please do. Please support your hospice in whichever way you can, whether it is a kind donation today or becoming a regular giver to the hospice to spread your gift across the year.
“We are managing our costs as effectively as we can, and we ask that you consider what support you can show Oakhaven at this difficult time."
Thank you to our community of supporters, fundraisers, volunteers and staff
Melville Kendal, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, added: "We are incredibly grateful to our community of wonderful supporters, fundraisers and volunteers. Through their gifts of time, money and dedication they ensure the excellent standard of care which our consultants, doctors, nurses and wider team provide daily to our patients and their loved ones whilst they are living with an illness, at end of life and into bereavement. Every year we care for around 1,400 patients and their families, both in the hospice and in homes throughout the New Forest, Totton and Waterside community.”